Robinson Crusoe: a dreadful deliverance

Rispondi
Prof.ssa Giuliani

Robinson Crusoe: a dreadful deliverance

Messaggio da Prof.ssa Giuliani » 26/03/2020, 17:38

Good morning everyone!

The first section of the book shows us how, despite his father’s warnings (Robinson’s father had said: “That boy might be happy if he would stay at home, but if he goes abroad, he will be the miserablest wretch that was ever born: I can give no consent to it.”), Robinson leaves his family when he is nineteen years old and goes to sea to make his fortune, following his inclinations.
I consulted neither father or mother any more, nor so much as sent them word of it; (…) without asking God’s blessing, or my father’s, without any consideration of circumstances or consequences, and in an ill hour, God knows, on the first of September 1651, I went on board a ship bound for London; never any young adventurer’s misfortunes, I believe, began sooner, or continued longer than mine.
After several voyages he lands in Brazil, where he becomes the owner of a big and successful plantation. One day, he sails to Africa to buy (purchase) some slaves (he calls them “Negroes”… Remember that at that time England was involved in the Atlantic slave trade!) for his plantation. During this expedition, the wind starts blowing very hard and a terrible storm hits their ship! It blows so violently that the ship is cast upon the coast of an island.
  • Download the attached file;
  • Read this passage of the book and discover about how Robinson lands on the island where he will remain for… 28 years!
  • Follow the instructions you find at the end of the text.
Additionally, you can also listen to (Robinson’s 😉) voice reading the same text clicking on the link down here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVFIo0kjcxM

Bye for now… Have a good day!
Prof.ssa Giuliani
Allegati
A dreadful deliverance.pdf
(265.13 KiB) Scaricato 2573 volte

Rispondi

Torna a “Lingua e Cultura Inglese”